CVT_in_MN, Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  Work with birds in clinic setting as well as volunteer at wildlife rescue. Have owned birds, including parakeets and Cockatoos.

There is an abandoned baby hawk on our property. It is

Customer Question

There is an abandoned baby hawk on our property. It is sleeping out in the open making no attempt to hide itself. It can fly but makes little effort. The parents were last seen at the nest on Thursday evening. I have read that parents will stop feeding young to make them forage for themselves. However, I usually read they hide until fully able to fly - I wonder if sleeping in the open is usual or if an intervention is required ?
Category: Bird
Expert:  CVT_in_MN replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Does the fledgling try to get away when you approach it?

What is your zip code?

Is it in an area that is safe from predators (dogs, cats, ect)?

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Although it's possible that this is a fledgling that still has parents around, I am concerned about the fact that it doesn't try to run away when you approach it. That plus the fact that there are cats around makes me think that the absolute best thing to do is to contact a wildlife rehab in your area. They'll come out and get the bird and take care of it until it's able to fend for itself.

I did some research and found these near you:

Even if these places aren't directly near you or are out of your area, they'll be able to help point you in the direction of someone who can come out and get the little guy.

I hope this helps.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?