Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Well...i have a double yellow fronted amazon.. that is

Customer Question

well...i have a double yellow fronted amazon.. that is 34yrs. old..he did belong to my mother. the problem i am seeing is his nares.. one is dark in side so i thought it was something for a veterinarian to look at and flush. this veterinarian tried to flush it then picked inside the nostril with a tool to try and loosen or pull the crud out.. but made it bleed...now it looks like nothing was done but she did give me gentamicin sulfate to put in his nostrils.. is this ok ... thank you if you can help me out.. do i need to find another vet to go to..
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Yes, you need to find an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org). A naris (nostril) can be occluded by nasal discharge of infection or environmental irritants which dries and forms a concretion. This is relatively easy to manually remove. Similarly, hypovitaminosis A can cause a change in the mucous membranea inside the nose that predisposes to swelling and discharge. This type of discharge, too, is relatively easy to manually remove but the inflammation remains. A lack of vitamin A would be unlikely at his age but needs to be considered if his diet is primarily seeds. Please let me know. Lastly, and most important at his age is neoplasia (cancer) inside the naris particularly because it bled when picked at. Adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma should be important differential diagnoses in such a patient.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin