August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

Her anus area is swollen up like a balloon - its completely

Customer Question

her anus area is swollen up like a balloon - its completely bald and huge
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: this is a parakeet
JA: How old is This?
Customer: she is about 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about This?
Customer: not that i can think of- i cleaned her anus area with a paper towel and warm water.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: its really huge this blockage
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has this been like this?

Can she pass stool at all? Is she straining to do so?

Is the internal rectal mucosa being exposed externally?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we just noticed today it may have been several days...she can pass stool, i don't see anything internal being exposed. i'll try and post a picture - do you have an email address i can send to from my phone? im not so good with the new websites - don't know how to post
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she can fly fine and move about in her cage
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I am sorry but we are not allowed to exchange emails as per website policy. Still, you can post on any website you are comfortable with and then copy/paste the link for me to follow. That way I can see what you are seeing and narrow down our concerns here.

Dr. B.

Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I have not heard back from you and did want to let you know that I will be away from the computer for a wee bit. Therefore, if you can post your photos and paste the links here, I will check them when I return and give you my thoughts.

Speak to you then,

Dr. B.