Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

I'm back - ***? We can't find the mother bird.

Customer Question

Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in birds. It's kind of you to care about this little one.

Please don't feed the little bird anything because we don't know what kind of bird it is. The wrong food can be dangerous. Baby birds often cannot fly too well when they first leave the nest. The parents continue to feed them and they flutter from shrub to shrub until they learn to fly. If the baby is at that point, and there are no predators in your neighborhood (especially cats), it would be best to put the bird back where you found. The mother is not going to come near while you are there. This is a dangerous time of life for birds. Many end up being caught by predators. You may want to turn it over to a wildlife rehabilitator. These are people trained to raise and treat all types of wildlife, then release the babies when they're old enough. There is no charge for their services - they just want to help the animals. If you'll give me your state, I'll find a rehabber for you.

If you have more questions, just let m eknow.