Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

X-rays show he has an enlarged heart, and ergular heart beat

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Captain, he is a gray and 33 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Captain?
Customer: He is spending more time than usual on the bottom of his cage and has fallen off his cage a couple of times
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. It sounds as if Captain has already been attended to by such a vet. Have the various differential diagnoses and the diagnostics necessary for differentiating one from the other been discussed with you?

We see quite a variety of heart diseases including a vegetative endocarditis (heart valve disease), myocardial (heart muscle) disease, pericardial (the membrane that surrounds the heart) disease, arrhythmias (irregular heart rates), atherosclerosis (similar to the changes in heart arteries in humans), and congestive heart failure.

We can check cardiac biomarkers (troponins are regulatory proteins and are elevated when cardiac muscle damage is present), X-rays as were done, perform a cardiac ultrasound (echocardiogram), perform an electrocardiogram (EKG), and assess blood pressure to better tailor Captain's therapy.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The response was ok,but I did not approve the $31.00 fee for this response.

Thank you. Please contact***@******.*** for information concerning any financial obligation to the site.