August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

My Gouldian finch is losing its feathers. In fact, the once

Customer Question

My Gouldian finch is losing its feathers. In fact, the once so beautiful couloirs are fading away. The red head, the back and tail colors have the sprinkled with white spouts our sprouts. All over, he looks more grayish. Yet he eats and drinks well and loves the grapes of millet. What is wrong?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Don't know his exact age. It is an exotic finch, named Gould finch.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gould?
Customer: He is rather small and comes originally from Australia. He has full light and I clean his cage daily. He also has specific food which I change daily, together with the water. Another observation is that he seems to digest his food faster than during the first 10 months. He does not like baths and I cannot get him into one of those bird baths.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Where is he losing feathers on his body?

Do you see him plucking them, rubbing or itching?

Are you seeing the feathers in the cage or could he be eating them?

Are the white sprouts (likely new feathers) at the sites of loss?

What else do you feed him?