Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My rooster has lost s voice over the last few days. Now he

Customer Question

My rooster has lost his voice over the last few days. Now he is acting lethargic. Could it be a worm and what do you give him as a dewormer?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Black i.e. And he is 2 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Black For Example?
Customer: Not that I can see.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

There's a gapeworm that attaches to the inside lining of the trachea (windpipe) but game birds are more likely to suffer from this parasite than are chickens. These worms can be present in such numbers that they may completely fill the airway resulting in extreme respiratory difficulty. Affected birds typically gasp for air and breathe with extended necks ("gape").

Loss of voice and lethargy can be seen with a number of respiratory infections - bacterial, viral, and fungal - and so, practically speaking, presumptively treating for a bacterial infection such as chicken coryza or avian mycoplasmosis with tylosin is reasonable. Tylan-50 is available in your local feed store and can be dosed at 20-30 mg/lb intramuscularly once daily for 5-7 days or you can give the injectable solution directly into Blackie's beak.

If you want to worm Blackie, fenbendazole (over the counter Panacur) is a good choice for all of the worms of chickens and is dosed at 10 mg/lb daily for 5 consecutive days. The usual fenbendazole suspension contains 100 mg/mL and is also found in your local feed store.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

(I tried to mark your second post as a duplicate so you wouldn't be charged twice. Please stay in this conversation.)