nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in avian medicine.
60269376

Came home yesterday to find bird on bottom of cage : It was

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: Came home yesterday to find bird on bottom of cage
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?
Customer: It was very warm in the room , it looked at first like he was on his way out as very still I bottom of cage.....we bathed him in cool water and he came around and basically is fine apart from not being able to use one or both feet
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Age 6 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Age?
Customer: Green cheek conure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How is he just now?

When you say he has reduced use of his legs, do you mean he cannot move them at all, cannot grip, or is just weak?

Can he take food and water?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi,Yes he definitely still has appetite for food and water...albeit not as much yesterday as today...
Re his legs ...I'm not sure if it's his legs or claws but he won't stand ...he can fly in his cage when he thinks the door is open for him to try and get out.. He will hold on to cage bars with his beak and what looks like one of his claws .....
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He pulls himself along on bottom of cage with his beak and flaps his wings abit or uses muscles in his body..
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

If these signs came on suddenly, I'd be concerned that it is his legs and not his claws. Unless the claws were growing into his feet, we'd just not expect him to be unable to use his legs. Instead if he cannot stand at all, we'd be concerned about bone and muscle issues (a bit less likely with both legs equally affected) but especially worried about nerve and spinal ones. Its possible we have had a spinal shock, spinal inflammation/trauma, but we can also see this with abscesses and masses in the spinal canal as well as in the abdomen (ie reproductive and kidney tumors can compress the nerves of the legs).

With this all in mind, since it has come on so fast, we do want to be proactive. Ideally, we'd want to have your local avian vet involved. They can determine which issue is present and start anti-inflammatories to reduce any swelling and discomfort. As well, they can palpate or ultrasound his abdomen to check for a mass triggering this. And this will give us the best chance of addressing the underlying cause and giving him the chance to potentially regain normal use of his legs.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  nekovet replied 5 months ago.

How if everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.