Joan
Joan, Vet. Tech.
Experience:  Vet Tech
5071285

She was bitten by something last night, she has a little

Customer Question

She was bitten by something last night, she has a little bite on her neck, just checking to see if we are forgetting anything. Put Amox in her water and cleaned it with anticeptic spray.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the bird bleeding a lot?
Customer: No
JA: Phew. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Norma Jean about a year
JA: How old is Norma Jean?
Customer: a year
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Norma Jean?
Customer: No, I think she is ok, just want to make sure she does not get infected systematicaly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years, I would love to assist you.

Was the Ammoxi OTC from the pet shop?

What type of anticeptic spray did you use?

Any swelling?

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it was Amox from an RX I had, Just Walgreens basic spray, not really swelling
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

Thank-you. If the spray is an aerosol please apply to a gauze and apply without the spray the aerosol can bother the bird because of Flurocarbons. It sounds like you are right on track with what you are doing. At this point all you can so is monitor the bird for any issues. As long as no swelling and breathing problems that rules out an allergic reaction. all you can do now is to monitor and if anything seems out of order get into an avian Vet for further treatment and supportive care,

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

I do want to let you know Amoxi is not widely used in Bird treatment. Unless it is prescribed for the bird I would discontinue it and get the proper Antibiotic for the Bird.

Joan