Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My baby duck is having a hard time breathing sometimes it

Customer Question

My baby duck is having a hard time breathing sometimes it will make a faint sound. What can I do to help it as my vet is gone till Tuesday
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Julie, you can hope that your duck is suffering from a tylosin-responsive bacterial infection in its respiratory system and dose it with tylosin in the form of Tylan-50 available in your local feed store. The dose is 20-30 mg/lb of body weight daily for 5-7 days. It can be given intramuscularly or the injectable solution can be given directly into its beak. Bring the duck inside and keep it in an 85F environment. If need be, syringe a duck pellet gruel into its beak to avoid dehydration and starvation. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Julie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?