CVT_in_MN
CVT_in_MN, Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  Work with birds in clinic setting as well as volunteer at wildlife rescue. Have owned birds, including parakeets and Cockatoos.
10413311

Mother morning dove 2 eggs and sat couple days then left and

Customer Question

Mother morning dove laid 2 eggs and sat for a couple days then left and hasn't come back. Eggs are sitting in hot sun. How long will she stay away or has she abandoned nest. Can we rescue eggs and hatch them
JA: I'm trying to find the right Veterinarian for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name?
Customer: She was a morning dove
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: She hasn't been bothered by fair with rides right next to building I live in where the nest is. Last nite I showed my son bird and dog came out onto patio and bird fluttered up and we immediately brought dog back inside. Haven't seen mom since
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  CVT_in_MN replied 6 months ago.

Hi there!

Is this a wild bird I assume?

Is the nest accessible?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the bird is wild and the nest is accessible
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No call wanted for extra charge. Just answer my ? Or I'd like my money back!!!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where is my answer that I submitted hours ago? Is this a legitimate site?

And how long has she been away from the nest?

What is your zip code?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A whole day! Zip 48009

Okay. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So I talked to the wildlife rehab where I volunteered, and did some research, and found that often when a mourning dove is scared off the nest by a human, they may leave it alone for a day or until things die down. If you've been checking on it all day, it's possible that she's been watching from a distance and doesn't feel safe coming back.

You can read more about it here: http://www.diamonddove.info/bird13%20Mourning.htm

What we suggest with nests on the ground (and baby rabbits!), we suggest putting some grass over the next over night and then ignoring it. Check again in the morning and if the grass is gone (just a few blades...not a lot) or moved, then you know that mom was back when you weren't looking.

If she hasn't returned by morning, then you could try finding a wildlife rehab in your area to see if they can incubate the eggs, but odds are they won't and the eggs won't be viable anymore anyway.

I hope this helps.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN