Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Egg is have way out lot of blood : she can seem to lay it

Customer Question

egg is have way out lot of blood
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bird?
Customer: she can seem to lay it its stuck half way out
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: 6 yrs pepe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pepe?
Customer: has already lay15 eggs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

What type of bird is Pepe, please? How much of the egg can you see at this time? Can you handle Pepe without stressing her?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, birds quiet, have held her ,the egg is out almost all the way but has the sack still around it . she sits in her water bowl off an on . now what
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry she a parakeet

Thank you. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

It sounds like you won't need to manipulate this egg. Please place her in an area heated up to 85F where it's dark and quiet. Ideally she should be attended to by an on-call vet who will administer both calcium gluconate by intramuscular injections every 3-6 hours and a high sugar supplement by mouth (Karo syrup, e.g.) to provide a rapid source of energy. Stress and handling should be minimized at this time.