Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My cockatiel suddenly is losing momentarly the use of one of

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: my cockatiel suddenly is losing momentarly the use of one of his feet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Suddenly?
Customer: started yesterday evening... he looked to recover today, ate and drank water normally, was playing almost normal, but today almost at the same time is showing the same symptom
JA: The Veterinarian will know if Suddenly will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Suddenly?
Customer: My apologies, the name of my bird is Nino, and we believe it's about 10 years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Dr Salkin. I look forward receiving your comments.
Jaime

Unilateral paresis (weakness) or paralysis of a foot or leg can be caused by trauma, either skeletal or soft tissue, infection (bumblefoot) or gout in a joint of that foot or leg, sciatic nerve compression (common in the parakeet, rare in other species), and spinal neoplasia (cancer) although bilateral effects are more common. An avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) will need to carefully palpate Nino's leg from toes to hip seeing if fractures, bruising, or swelling is present. X-rays may be needed. You may read that nutritional imbalances may be responsible as well - particularly a deficiency in vitamin B complex and calcium. If present, these deficiencies can result in neuropathy and pathologic fracturing of bones but simple trauma is the most common cause of what you're seeing, Jaime. What has Nino's diet consisted of, please?

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Currently we are giving him:
Tropimix (HARI)
Tropican (HARI)
Healthy support Diet - Forti-Diet ProHealth (KAYTEE)
Bird Greens - Forti-Diet ProHealth (KAYTEE)
Golden Sunburst MilletOn top of this, we give him time to time a bit of tortilla, scramble egg the white part of the sunny side up egg, cocked potato/broccoli/sweet potato/carrots.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also we add on his water a drop or two of Vita-Sol (Ecotrition) into his filtered water.

Thank you. That looks good. Here are some other ideas: hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat. We should be able to rule out a dietary problem involving his current disorder. Please continue our conversation if you wish.