Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  Registered General Practioner

My parrot has chewed off its toes : Xica 7 years old : My

Customer Question

My parrot has chewed off its toes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Xica 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Xci?
Customer: My mother who spends most of the time with her has been out of town and my aunt has apparently not done a good job of watching her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** to hear that Xica is having troubles with his toes. I will do my best to help with your question. First I have a few questions to help me better understand your situation.

1) Which foot and which toes appear to be affected? Are the toes completely missing?

2) Is Xica currently bleeding from the site?

3) What species of parrot is Xica?

4) Is Xica known to have any other health problems? Or on any medications?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's knawled off some toes, she just doesn't look good. No other health problems, she is a Quaker parrot
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No bleeding, it looks like it was a while ago
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Okay. Does she appear otherwise in a stable condition: alert, responsive, eating? Or does she appear quiet and depressed?

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Are you able to take a photo of her toes at all and upload it here?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No her usual self, I went to check I her earlier I don't live there with my mom. My aunt is supposed to be taking care of her. behavior is unusual, flying into walls, skiddish.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her toes are pink and fleshy colored not scaly
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know if shes eating, the top of her head is losing feathers, all her other feathers are in disarray
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Chewed up and not looking normal
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hmm. I definitely do not like the sound of those fleshy coloured toes. Does she appear itchy? Do you see her doing more grooming than normal, or even feather plucking?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I guess she's been stressed with out my mom and has been chewing them
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

The biggest concern about missing toes, particular ones that have been bitten off, is the risk of infection to the remaining bones of the toe. We call this "osteomyelitis" and is very painful and serious. Birds are unfortunately very good at hiding their pain as an adaptation to survival (they do not want to look vulnerable in the wild). With osteomyelitis, the infection tends to start from the wound and progress upwards (ascending) towards the body. It usually requires a course of antibiotics to stop the infection. The best way to assess if there is bone infection is with an xray at your local vet. It sounds like from the condition of her feathers, that it she might benefit from a general check-up as well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I will do so, thank yoU
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should I keep her confined? She keeps flying into walls, and won't let me near her to clip her wings
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

I would do. It is a good idea to keep her from accidentally knocking her toes at high speed and injuring them any further. I'm sure the vet will be happy to clip her wings for you at her check-up if you are having trouble at home.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking.

If you don't mind, could you please give my answer a rating at the top of this page? Otherwise the website will not reimburse me for my time. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for using this service.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello again, I have another question
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Sure, go ahead. Sorry about the delay. I was asleep and then at my day job up until now.