Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He seems to be bleeding from a feather some how. Last night

Customer Question

He seems to be bleeding from a feather some how. Last night it was just a little bit and today it's a little more and some drops are in his cage
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Thanks and He's a cockatiel about 5 months old
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes he is my pet
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cockatiel?
Customer: Thanks & no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
The source of such bleeding is usually a break through a blood feather - a newer feather that still contains a blood source. The affected feather needs to be identified and plucked from the skin which will stop the bleeding. Hydrogen peroxide can bleach away the old blood and reveal a fresh bleed which then allows you to pluck out the correct feather. This needs to be done promptly lest a cockatiel becomes anemic. If you're unable to perform this act, please bring him him to an avian vet (www.aav.org) at your earliest convenience. A specialist avian vet isn't necessary for this procedure, however, and so calling around to nearby vet hospitals might find a generalist vet who can help you.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do we "pluck" it out? It's our first bird
I use a hemostat but any grasping tool (pliers, e.g.) will suffice.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay so we just find the correct feather and pluck it out ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm confused between two feathers; a long one & short. I don't have the hydrogen perixide
Yes, that's all that's necessary but you'll need to identify the correct feather. 3% hydrogen peroxide is available in your local pharmacy.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm pretty sure it's this one
I agree. Grasp it and a quick jerk should be curative. He won't be thrilled but the pain doesn't last. It's best if he's restrained in a small towel by a helper and a second person does the plucking. Don't compress his chest which will compromise his breathing. Just surround him with the towel without applying significant pressure on his chest.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does the angle matter
Stay parallel with the feather or you can break it in another location.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is after I plucked out the feather
When you get the chance, apply hydrogen peroxide liberally so you can see that there isn't more than one feather that needs to be plucked. Did you see the break in the vane of the feather you flucked?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is the feather that was plucked
That looks like an offender!I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What do you mean by offender ?
The bleeder. My lame attempt in being cute...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hopefully that's it. Thanks for the help !
You're quite welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin