Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

I think my 15 year old grey has sprained his leg. My

Customer Question

I think my 15 year old grey has sprained his leg. My mom say's he has not talked for 3 days and that is very unusual. He has been eating and poops look normal. I believe he freaked out from an unfamiliar toy. When he first got onto my finger when I got home he would only hold on with his right foot and the other foot was clenched up and his leg was out straight. He was favoring his left foot for sometime but he sometimes does climb from one side of cage to the other. But my mom called today and said he freaked out last night and took a tumble to the floor which is normal. What do you think?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in avian health. I'm sorry to hear your parrot is having a problem. This is just a quick note to let you know I'm working on your answer and will post it as soon as I have it typed up.If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that just yet because we are just beginning.I appreciate your patience, and will be back shortly.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for waiting. Because your grey has been favoring that foot for some time, I don't think we're dealing with a simple sprain. Minor injuries tend to get better with time, not worse. The fact that he is holding the leg out and the foot is clenched may indicate that a nerve is involved. That can also be a sign that he is in a good deal of pain. Not talking, when he normally does, also tells us that he doesn't feel well. There are several possibilities for what is wrong, some more serious than others. This may sound hard to believe, but one of the most common causes of lameness in birds is a tumor. Tumors on the kidney or reproductive organs put pressure on the sciatic nerve. That leads to lameness in one or both legs. Another possibility is that there has been an injury to a nerve. Because of these possibilities, and because the condition came on gradually, I think your best decision would be to see an avian vet as soon as you can. This link will take you to a directory: If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope this will turn out to be something minor and easily treated. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!