Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My budgie was having problems with balance and seemed out

Customer Question

Hi my budgie was having problems with balance and seemed out of it this morning, my bird is older and I assumed it was dying so I scheduled to have it put down but now he seems totally normal. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your bird?
Customer: Theres something (maybe a kind of mass) down between the birds legs and bottom. Not sure if it could be a blockage of some sort or tumor but it's been there for several months
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Please let me know if you still need help. The "mass" concerns me if only because older males are at risk for both renal and testicular tumors. These are intraabdominal, however, and present as a firm, bulging abdomen. Is this what you're seeing?