Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Have a 2 and a half month old khaki Campbell duck . She JA:

Customer Question

Have a 2 and a half month old khaki Campbell duck . She
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: Have a khaki camper
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: She has a bump on the top near her tail. It looks like the feathers were there but a little stubble remained. She can walk but does not keep her tail up. She will walk then sit. Sorry don't know how to describe it
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes no foot wounds only a red looking bump down from her back near her tail
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do.
Customer: Thanks
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Waddles
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Waddles?
Customer: I don't think so. She has 5 other ducklings and 2 - 1year old females that live with her in the same pen. Her tail feathers just do not stand up like the others
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. I believe that that "red looking bump" describes her uropygial (preen) gland. Please take a look at these images and let me know if we're talking about the same thing: so, I would suspect that her mates are attacking her - what we would call "cannabalizing" in chickens.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I believe we r talking about the preen gland. I was reading about it and said I should use hot ( not burning) compresses. Is that right and is there anything else I should do? Is this also why her tail does not stand up?
Thank you. Yes, moist hot packing + improving the diet + vitamin A supplementation usually suffices. Antibiotics might be necessary if secondary infection is present (uncommon). Is she currently eating a high quality waterfowl diet? Please see here: There are many vitamin/mineral supplements available in your local feed store. I would attribute her tail carriage to pain. Have you thoroughly examined her for wounds?