PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

We have 6week old ducklings in a wire pen. Something started

Customer Question

We have 6week old ducklings in a wire pen. Something started killing them one at a time. Removing their heads. We've coved the top of the 15 foot square pen. The sides are 6 feet high. We lost another last night. My son is devistated. Is it a weisel? What can we do?
Category: Bird
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Good morning, Doug. I am so sorry to hear that this is happening with your ducklings. Can you share a picture of your setup? I have a suspicion that Weasels may be to blame here, especially if you have managed to make the pen impenetrable by larger animals. In your position, I would set up a few traps inside (elevated slightly so the ducks don't walk in) and outside of your pen in an attempt to catch this pest. Use a mess of bloody meat, tripe and organ meat, etc. There's a useful link here: Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Doug, I am not currently able to offer a phone call. I can keep chatting here, however, if you have more questions.
Hi Doug, checking to see if I can help you any further on this concern. Have you had any luck with the trap?
Hi Doug,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?