Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

I can't tell if my parrotlet is constipated or just "in heat"

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Let?
Customer: 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Let?
Customer: Her name is***** been nesting as well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is anyone really there?
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hello. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. At the time you posted your question, you were interacting with a 'virtual assistant.' I am a real person- a biologist with a special interest in bird health. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful. Birds don't come in heat like mammals do, so we need to figure out what is going on.What symptoms does Jade have - straining to pass droppings, squatting, droppings stuck to her back end, appetite loss, lethargy, etc.?How long has this been going on?Has Jade ever laid any eggs?If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that just yet since we are just beginning. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi and thank you for responding! She is acting completely normal except her vent keeps turning blood red and swells. Then it goes away for a while and comes back. Her vent currently has white on it but it isn't poop. I ran her under water to clean it but the white part stays. A few years ago she laid eggs. She and my boy parrotlet are nesting as they do every year but she only had eggs once. Also I noticed she waddles a bit when she walks like she's carrying extra weight.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also she had laid several eggs 4 yrs ago and had 4 healthy babies.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on your answer now, and wi;; post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience. I'll be back shortly.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for waiting.It sounds like Jade may have dystocia - trouble laying an egg or eggs. There are several different types. she may have an egg stuck. an egg may be positioned wrong. Two eggs can stick together. An egg can break inside the bird. There are other possibilities: there could be a tumor inside the reproductive tract; part of her internal organs may be prolapsing. All of these conditions are considered medical emergencies. The best thing to do is have a vet help as soon as possible. Home remedies seldom work. Here is a link to a list of avian vets by state. You may have to drive a bit to get to one. you absolutely can't get to a vet right away, there are a few things you can try, but success is iffy. If the egg is just inside the vent, you can put a little cooking oil or mineral oil in the vent, just barely inside it. This won't do any good if the egg is further up. If you can feel an egg, do not try to break the egg or pull it out - this can do even more harm.You can run a hot shower in your bathroom until the room is warm and humid (85 to 90 degrees). Gently (so as not to accidentally break the egg) put her in a small box or cage and take her to the warm room. Watch her closely to make sure she doesn't overheat. Sometimes the warmth and humidity can help.Remember that these home remedies seldom work. They are just a last attempt to help if you absolutely cannot get to a vet. And of course if there is a tumor or prolapse, these steps will not help at all.If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope Jade will be fine. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
How is your parrotlet today? Do you need any additional information?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She's fine. Thanks for your advice
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
You're welcome. I'm glad to hear she got better.