August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

My 1-1/2 year old female parakeet has a very overgrown cere.

Customer Question

My 1-1/2 year old female parakeet has a very overgrown cere. My vet said to add red palm oil to her food, but that hasn't helped the cere to return to normal. She eats seed, egg yolk, some lettuce or dandelion greens (from the store!) Does she need surgery to correct this, and is this something that ever really goeas away on its own??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Shelly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shelly?
Customer: No, when I took her for a checkup in January, they said I'm doing everything right. She is a good weight, and EXTREMELY playful and personable.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  August Abbott, CAS replied 5 months ago.
An overgrown "cere" ? That band of flesh where her nares (nostrils) are located? Is it possible to send a pic ? I'd wager that this vet you saw is not typically an avian vet (sees mostly dogs/cats/small animals?) I own a bird rescue/rehab in N.California. I will be back online later so take your time in getting a pic if you can or at least giving me more detail about what you're seeing and the location. The nares aren't blocked right?