August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author

I am worried sick. I'm so frustrated because my cockatiel

Customer Question

Hi - I am worried sick. I'm so frustrated because my cockatiel Woodrow has lost weight - at the vet's 3 days ago he weighed 66. I hoped he would gain weight when we got home because he had been breathing through his beak (mouth) and the vet had to unplug a nostril. He immediately felt better. She gave me some antibiotics and force fed him. And he felt even better. But he won't continue to eat. Should I ask the vet for more of what she gave him? Poor guy is 21 years old. She said he probably has arthritis, he has a heart murmer and hardening of the arteries. he has been hearty and healthy - but thin - all his life. She also gave me Optomega supplement to improve his quality of life.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Woodrow?
Customer: I can't think of anything. She has a cockatiel 25 years old and said he looks 5. That hurt my feelings as I felt inadequate as a bird mom. Last night I got so tired of feeling guilty, of begging hiim to eat.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Woodrow. It sounds like you're going through a really tough time with him and I want to know the emotions you expressed in your post really reached me. You sound so frustrated, worried, and at a loss for what to do. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.In order to help me help you better, I'll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:Did the vet do any diagnostic tests?What antibiotic did she prescribe?What was Woodrow's diet like when he was eating well? What did he eat?I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank yo
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.
Hello,Just checking in to ask how things are going with your cockatiel.Thank you,Dr. Jo