Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a male canary that I got from a friend. He is about

Customer Question

I have a male canary that I got from a friend. He is about a year old. Lately I have been hearing a squeaking sound I could hear the sound when I place his peak close to my ears and sometimes I could just hear it from my desk when he is more active. It is possible that this condition is getting worst but I can't be sure.
However, he has been eating and drinking normally. He is very active and sings a lot. is there something I can get him to have this treated?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
Ebrahim, the sound you're hearing indicates narrowing of the airways in your canary. This can occur due to a buildup of mucus and/or by swelling of the walls of the airways. I need to consider bacterial, viral, and fungal infections, respiratory mites, and a vitamin A deficiency in these birds. The only disorder you can address with an over the counter product is a vitamin A deficiency. Supplementing that vitamin by administering a water soluble vitamin product such as Oasis brand plus improving his diet might be all you need to do. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has his diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.comor here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.I would be more comfortable knowing that an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) took a look at him and checked for mites and bacterial infection. If infection is expected, an oral antibiotic will be prescribed and you'd be asked to dose him directly into his beak. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Ebrahim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin