Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a ringneck who has been treated lame

Customer Question

Hi. I have a ringneck who has been treated for becoming lame on 1 side of her body. The possible causes are calcuim or a blood clot/tumor in her brain. Is there any treatment for tumors or blood clots? She is currently on calcibird for calcium
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The possible causes are calcuim or a blood clot/tumor in her brain. Is there any treatment for tumors or blood clots? She is currently on calcibird for calcium
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Bird Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.
I believe that you're describing a bird who suffered a stroke which often results from atherosclerotic changes in the vasculature much like in humans. Unfortunately, we don't have reliably and safe treatments for the stroke itself but we do try to improve these birds' diet by limiting fatty seed intake which may well be the most common cause of the atherosclerotic changes. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has her diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.I wouldn't suspect a calcium deficiency which is usually evidenced by a generally weak bird rather than one unilaterally paretic (weak) or paralyzed. A brain tumor is a consideration in an older bird but isn't treated with either chemotherapy or radiotherapy in birds. Pragmatically speaking, MRI - which is necessary to diagnose such a tumor - is performed very rarely on birds.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin