Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our green cheeked conure has developed a lump over the past

Customer Question

Our green cheeked conure has developed a lump over the past week
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Atlas, 2 yrs old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: The lump has doubled in the past week.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of this lump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. A lump that has increased so dramatically in size in such a short period of time is often an abscess which can be lanced, flushed, and a systemic antibiotic prescribed. Birds can develop quite a variety of skin cancers as well but such an aggressive one isn't expected in a 2 year old.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My little bird does not like the camera, so getting a picture is pretty difficult. It's a scaly bump
Thank you for your efforts. I understand your constraints. I would need to examine that area up close and personal and check it for folliculitis (bacterial, yeast, fungal) and even biopsy it if a neoplasm ("new growth") were suspicious. It's important that an avian vet experienced in skin diseases is involved with Atlas. Please see here: www.aav.org
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
With help from boyfriend, we were able to get better pictures. The vet's can't get us in until May 3, we have 7 other birds that don't share a cage with him. Should we be concerned?
Wonderful! Thank you! This involves the commissure of the mouth - a common place for cutaneous infections which then cause inflammation and hyperkeratotic (keratin is a structural protein) lesions such as that. Have you been able to look inside Atlas's mouth to see if additional lesions are present? I need to consider bacterial, fungal, and viral (poxvirus) infections. I'm going to send these images to a friend of mine who is a specialist veterinary pathologist with an interest in birds. I'll return to our conversation once I hear from her. That's usually less than 24 hours from now.
Dr. Mahoney agreed that this looks like a hyperkeratotic projection - a papilloma (wart) or perhaps poxvirus lesion. Neither are likely to be dangerous but that needs to be removed before it enlarges further, becomes traumatized, and bleeds. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin