Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

I think my parakeet (female I believe) is constipated. She

Customer Question

I think my parakeet (female I believe) is constipated. She is doing some straining and her poop builds up on her. We are bathing her with warm clothes to remove it. What else should we do?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Her name is***** is quite old, over 10 years. She eats millet, plain seeds, and those hanging sticks.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Her father had the same symptoms several years ago. He was really old.
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Flyza Minelli
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in avian health. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. When poop builds up, but the bird is straining, it does often mean that something is obstructing the intestines. When that happens, only runny droppings can get through, and they tend to stick on. You made a good decision to clean your bird.I can give you some steps to try that may help if this is simple constipation. Try to get her to eat a greater variety of foods. Fruits and vegetables, especially, can help with this. Try tiny bits of strawberries, orange, banana, cooked sweet potato or squash. Cooked whole grain pasta or beans, such as pinto or lentils would also be good. Many birds are picky about new foods, but if you eat some and let her see you eat it, she'll be more likely to try them. You could also put just one drop of vegetable or olive oil on a food she will eat.This may be more than simple constipation, and if it is, these measures will not help. Older parakeets are very prone to tumors. A tumor in the digestive system could cause these symptoms. So could a twist in the intestines. There would be no way to diagnose these conditions without having a vet do a hands on exam, and perhaps taking an ultrasound. In a female these symptoms can also indicate egg binding. It would be unusual, but not impossible, for this to happen in an older bird that has never laid eggs before. This, too, would require a vet visit.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Flyza will reach a full recovery.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!