Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Her poop is ticking to her And I have soaked her in water 23

Customer Question

her poop is ticking to her And I have soaked her in water 23 time now she seems a bit raw on her bottom and just is not looking good. I have been feed her the 25% bird seed
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: I mean 3 times of soaking her
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I mean I have soaked her in warm water Thursday night last night and this morning,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her name is ***** ***** she is about 3 years old
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Jill, what type of bird is Eagle, please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have to leave home in about 10 minutes so I am hoping you can tell me what kind of food or something like that or if I can put anything on her behind like Vaseline or mineral oil
Thank you. We need to treat the primary reason for Eagle being diarrheic and ending up with poop sticking to her in that manner. In many cases, a gram negative bacterial infection (E. coli, e.g.) is responsible and treated with a systemic antibiotic prescribed by an avian vet (please see here: Nutritional imbalances should also be considered if Eagle has been eating more than 20% of her diet in seeds. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: or here: should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.Until Eagle can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. Remove her perches and put her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to her water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in her water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly. Yes, a thin film of Vaseline is a good (and safe) shield from fecal scalding.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.
Hi Jill,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?