Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

I trimmed my female canary and dont know her age as I saw near

Customer Question

I trimmed my female canary and dont know her age as I saw near my doorstep. Is a way to tell the age and how does it take for wings to grow back. I will never do this again.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Pretty Girl and I dont know her age. Maybe hasnt reached her first bday.
JA: How old is Pretty Girl?
Customer: I RESCUED HER IN NOVEMBER AND CAN SEND YOU A PICTURE ON MY COMPUTER. BEAUTIFUL YELLOW CANARY
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pretty Girl?
Customer: NO. SHE IS ACTIVE AND GOT HER A BIG CAGE IN NOVEMBER. PUT HER IN A SMALL CAGE SINCE ON THE BOTTOM HAD DIFFICULTY JUMPING TO PERCH. I FEEL TERRIBLE ABOUT CUTTING WINGS.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in birds. I want to apologize for the repeated asking of your canary's age. That was not a real person you were speaking with, but a virtual assistant. I can tell you became irritated with that, and I don't blame you. Your canary's wing feathers will not grow back until the next time she molts. Most canaries molt during midsummer to early fall. It takes about 6 to 12 weeks for all the old feathers to come out and new ones to grow. The feathers you actually clipped cannot grow again, but they will fall out with the molt. The new ones that grow will be full size. Sometimes a canary will have an out of season molt, but that is unusual and it isn't considered healthy. If everything proceeds normally, the molt may begin any time after mid-July. To help her with perching until all her feathers grow back, place the perches at different levels. She may be able to go from one fairly low to the floor, to the next one up, and so on. Another solution is to use a natural branch from a safe variety of tree. Some of the more common safe trees are maple, alder, aspen, and birch. The most toxic is yew. Cedar and pine are also bad. The following site has lists of trees that are safe for bird perches, and those that are not. You'll need to scroll down on the page.http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml You'd need to check the branch carefully for insects. You can also buy ready to use branches made to be perches. On a branch, she can move from one level to another without having to fly at all. Here is a source for branches: http://manzanita.com/perches6.htmThere is no way to tell how old a canary is when you find it like you did. If she has a leg band on, the year she was hatched would be stamped on it. Without the leg band, you simply can't determine age. I would love to see a picture of your canary. You can upload a photo by clicking on REPLY, then at the top of the area where you would type is a tool bar with icons. Click on the little paper clip icon (it's right next to the YouTube icon). Instructions will pop up. On some browsers, this doesn't work. if that happens, you can put your photo on one of the free photo sharing websites, such as www.photobucket.com. Then come back here and paste the link to your picture. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope the above information helps. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!