Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My border canary I purchased 2 months ago cant balance and

Customer Question

my border canary I purchased 2 months ago cant balance and it seems to be her right leg. nothing seems broken. she just seems off. She has no desire to nest at all
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes her feet are fine
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the bird's name?
Customer: buttercup
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I have wormed her, tried antibiotic for 3 days in water.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Structural problems with a leg are very difficult for me to assess from afar. I would need to carefully examine both of her legs from the tip of her toes to her hips in an attempt to find a soft tissue or bony problem. You mentioned that she "just seems off", however. Are there other worrisome symptoms you've noticed - inappetence, sneezing, regurgitation/vomiting, increased respiratory rate, etc.? Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Buttercup's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: or here: should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.Worming her was OK but antibiotics in the water aren't of value if only because a bird can't drink enough to medicate itself properly. If I believe that an antibiotic is indicated, I'll prescribe one that can be given directly into my patient's beak. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.