Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

My canary hen had an accident yesterday, she can fly and

Customer Question

Hi, my canary hen had an accident yesterday, she can fly and has taken food from the cock and looks alerther legs have been damaged and she can't stand. She has two 2 week old chicks the father is feeding them but the smallest chick doesn't seem to be getting much. How do I hand feed them and what do I give them
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Her leg was bleeding and both legs look lifeless, I thought at first her leg was hanging off but they are just dangling underneath her
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Kizzy
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She ate a bit of food last night and fed the smallest chick a little, she even flew to the feed pots but couldn't land very well then she flew back to the nesting pan, so her will and intention is still there.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in avian health. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Since the cock is feeding the babies, it is best to let him continue. You can supplement for the small one who isn't getting much by hand feeding twice a day in addition to what it may be getting from the father. Do keep an eye on the other chicks to make sure they are getting enough, so you can step in with hand feeding if needed.You can buy hand feeding formulas in larger pet stores. Kaytee Exact Handfeeding Formula is a good one. Because canary chicks are so small, it is difficult to feed them without aspirating food into the lungs, so that is why I only recommend this method for the smaller chick.An eye dropper works best for feeding. Just click on this link for more thorough information on how to do it: It would be good to supply the cock with a supplemental soft food. Boiled egg is good. Mash it very well and place it in the cage. Don't leave it more than a couple of hours because bacteria can grow in it. If you have more questions, just let me know. I wish you success in raising the babies. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!