Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a pet conure that can't poop or pee. Her tummy is very

Customer Question

I have a pet conure that can't poop or pee. Her tummy is very large and swollen. What can I do? JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age? Customer: It is a BIRD, a conure. Her name is*****: How old is Wind Dancer? Customer: She is 21 years old. JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two? I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.

Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. To answer you directly, you won't be able to do anything for Wind Dancer until an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) examines her in order to clarify why her tummy is so large and swollen. She may be eggbound which is also obstructing her colon and preventing the passage of her droppings; she may be effusive - fluid has collected in her coelomic cavity secondary to right-sided heart failure, liver disease, a yolk peritonitis, or cancer; her liver may be grossly enlarged. These different possibilites can be clarified with blood tests and X-rays but I must admit that all of them are life-threatening - particularly in a 21 year old bird. Until Wind Dancer can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. Remove her perches and put her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.