Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She tried to lay her egg & it broke inside of her & no er vets

Customer Question

she tried to lay her egg & it broke inside of her & no er vets that deal with birds are on duty today in our area or surrounding areas
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Vinny 6 years
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No thank you
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Please let me know if you still need help. If the egg broke while in her cloaca (vent) it's likely to be excreted unaided although in some cases I'll manually extract pieces of shell if need be. Eggs that rupture high in the ovident are far more dangerous because the yolk can retropropulse into the coelomic cavity where a yolk peritonitis quickly arises and is lethal. Which type of bird is Vinny, please? May I have an update on her?