Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.

I have a Wyandotte three lb chicken that is just over a year

Customer Question

I have a Wyandotte three lb chicken that is just over a year old. She has an unknown vital infection and receiving low antibiotic to prevent secondary infections. She was given subQ fluids yesterday at vet and now I think she feels warm or hot. What can I give her for fever and how often??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Lucky
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Can I puree corn and make it watery and syringe feed little ants at a time?? I know it's not that mareks desease because she doesn't have paralysis and those other symptoms. Also I'm holding her w a plow against me most of the day. She seems relaxed and comforted but is it better to not handle her as much.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code? I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: She's inside in cage at night w heating pad.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome, My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping chickens. I'm sorry to hear of Lucky's problem. I apologize for the initial confusion on your question. You obviously don't need a mechanic. You're right that it's best not to handle a sick chicken too much. It is good to keep her warm. During the day, you could place one of those clip on lights made to keep baby chicks warm over her cage or box. A temperature of about 90*F would be good. As for pain or fever relief, the only over the counter medication that is safe is Children's Motrin (ibuprofen--do NOT use anything else) twice a day. She can have .05 cc. That is one drop. If you can puree corn to a liquidy form, it would be OK to feed that. However, there are more nutritious things you could give. Most feed stores sell pelleted complete chicken feeds. You could grind them to a powder and then mix with water to make a slurry. When you syringe-feed, drop the food onto the bottom of her mouth, not straight down her throat. If you have more questions, let me know. I hope Lucky will be able to recover. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just checking to see how Lucky is doing. I hope she is getting better. Do you need any additional information? Anna