Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My canary has been sick due to head injury. I let m out of

Customer Question

my canary has been sick for maybe due to head injury. I let him out of the cage and while I was trying to catch him he hit his head on the mirror several time before falling down. Now he is sleeping most of the time, shaking, and placing his head under his wings. He is not eating or drinking. I have been giving him water with vitamins on it using the syringe. He is more active today but he is still sleeping a lot.
The canary is make and one year old.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. You're necessarily constrained to how much you can do for a concussed canary. Supportive care is the ticket and involves keeping Pito in a 85F environment in order to reduce his energy use needed to maintain his high body temperature, removing his perches and placing him on the bottom of his cage along with his food and water. Allow him to sleep in a darkened area unlkely to be disturbed by nothing more than your ministrations. Antiinflammatory drugs such as the nonsteroidal meloxicam or the diuretic mannitol are controversial therapies in these birds.

I would continue syringe feeding but with a baby bird formula such as this: http://www.kaytee.com/products/exact-hand-feeding-baby-bird.php which is a balanced supplement. Keeping him hydrated in that manner is of paramount importance. His being more active is a positive prognostic sign. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Ebrahim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pito. How is everything going?
DrMichaelSalkin