Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My amazon is starting to lose feathers on the cheat area

Customer Question

my amazon is starting to lose feathers on the cheat area down to the skin. i have not seen picking at all.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the amazon's name and age?
Customer: leo and hes about 12 years old. I am not sure if he is a male or female
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leo?
Customer: he is still very active and noisy, however, hehas gotten a little mean lately., not very however more than before
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

If you're certain that Leo isn't feather picking/plucking, all possible medical causes for his/her feather loss need to be pursued by an avian vet (please see here: If no medical cause is found, behavioral causes are explored or presumptively treated with psychotherapeutic drugs such as clomipramine which would need to be prescribed by such a vet. A complete blood count and biochemical profile, blood lead and serum zinc test (Louisiana Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory can run this test on just 0.1ml of blood and serum), X-rays, psittacine beak and feather disease test (an important differential diagnosis), a feather follicle biopsy and culture, fecal ova and parasite exam and fecal ELISA test for Giardia spp., if necessary, are performed. Consider the introduction of toxins into Leo's environment as well - the great majority of which can’t be tested for.

Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of Leo to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as