Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

My name is ***** ***** and my canary (Joey) will not stand

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** and my canary (Joey) will not stand on his perch any more he sits in his seed dish all the time, and he breaths heavy
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Joey my canary has changed his entire program can not balance his self is not grooming is eats and poops in his seed cup and never leaves that position
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pet Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in bird health. I'm sorry to hear of Joey's illness..

These are general symptoms. Birds tend to hide signs of illness, so by the time symptoms like you're seeing show up, the bird is often quite ill. I recommend that you take Joey to a vet. The antibiotics available in pet stores are old ones, and most bacteria have developed a resistance to them. That makes them ineffective. In addition, treating a bird with antibiotics when it doesn't have a bacterial infection does more harm than good. Infections can also be caused by fungi and viruses. The symptoms you're seeing can indicate anything from a respiratory infection to organ failure to cancer. For all these reasons, it would be good to have Joey examined by a vet. A vet who is experienced with birds would be best. Here is a site that will help you find one near you:

http://www.avianweb.com/recommendedvets.htm

In the meantime, make sure your canary is kept warm. If there's a warmer room in the house where you can move the cage to, that would be a good thing to do. You could also cover three sides and the top of the cage to keep warmth in. Another option is to use a clean sock, and fill it 2/3 with plain, raw white rice. Tie the open end and microwave it for about 1 1/2 minutes. Then shake to distribute the heat. Make sure it's not so hot that it could burn your bird. Put it in the cage for added warmth. You can re-warm it when it gets cool. He can stay near it if he's a bit chilly, and move away if he gets too warm. Another way is to set a heating pad on low over half of the top of the cage. Other than keeping him warm, there isn't much you can do.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope this will turn out to be something minor and easily treated.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna