August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

We've had parakeets few years. had a clutch of 2 about 2 1-2

Customer Question

Hello. we've had parakeets for a few years. had a clutch of 2 about 2 1-2 months ago who were raised well by the parents and now are independent in the cage. Another clutch of 6 eggs was laid, 5 hatched over time ranging from 4wks to 2wks ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name?
Customer: We had moved them into a larger cage, but noticed another bird (not parnt) interacting with the mother, then nobody was going in the cage so we started hand feeding, father started feeding a little, we separated the other third adult parakeet but suddenly last night the mother was attcking the young.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about The mother?
Customer: 1 died sadly, we separated them out and 4 survived
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: smallest (about 2 wks old) had plucking and scratching, oldest having trouble eating, but now separated out of the cage are slowly doing better. wanted to ask about how to help them, also given we are travelining tonight.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They are doing better since last night after a couple hand feedings, but need to know how to manage wounds on the smallest one, and I must travel today until Sat night. Boarding for the birds in the hospital would be $500 per night so $1000 for the trip. Ok to take them with us in their nest box in the car for our trip, feeding them every few hours as needed?
Expert:  Anna replied 9 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in birds. imagine by now you've had to make your decision. If you do need more assistance, let me know in a REPLY.

Anna