Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My macaw this evening during return from vet. Visit while

Customer Question

my macaw this evening during return from vet. Visit while coming into house fly off into my neighbors tree top temp. Tonght is 31 degree. I have been attempting for hours to get him down with no success. I'm afraid it maybe to cold for him. I can't retrieve him out. He is in the highest part of tree. Will I do more problems if I have tree persons attempt to cut tree down and with temp being what it is can my macaw survive. He has been inside bird. Help!! I'm going out of my mind. I have had his wings clipped in September.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My macaw is stuck in tree and refusing to come down. I live in North Carolina and tonight s temperature is 31degrees ferinheight.I'm scared and worried about him surviving the cold. He has a very good bill of health report from his aviary vet. Today.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pet Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Please see here: http://www.goodbirdinc.com/help-escape.html

I believe that any attempt to climb the tree will only prompt his flying away. The below freezing temperature is survivable - wild flocks of previously pet birds are known to accommodate to such temperatures. I'll think good thoughts for his return. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DrMichaelSalkin
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was able to get a tree climber who after several attempts retrieved Eddy from the tree. Eddy did take two plugs out of his arm. Eddy appears to be back to his old self. I really appreciated the help...

What a terrific update. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.

You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.