Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

Nothing is wrong, I have two female cockatiels and one of

Customer Question

Nothing is wrong, I have two female cockatiels and one of them occasionally lays a clutch of eggs. A few times in the last week I have noticed the egg layer, Butter, chirp toward the other, Buddha, during the day, at which point, buddha comes down to the bottom of her cage and sits near Butters eggs, then Butter gets up and goes to her food bowl (they are in separate cages right next to each other). Could Butter possibly be "asking" Buddha to keep an eye on the eggs while she eats?
JA: OK. How old is Butter?
Customer: She is about 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Butter?
Customer: No, they are both very healthy and happy to my eye
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this real, or did I just foolishly give you my credit card?
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. This is real. I apologize that you experienced a delay. Different experts come on at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in bird behavior. I'll be happy to answer your question today. Cockatiels in the wild live in groups. Usually when there are eggs, the female is helped by her mate. He may bring her food, or attend the eggs while she goes to find food. If something happens to the males, a female friend of the mother may step up to help her. So, yes, it's very possible that Butter has requested that Buddha 'babysit' for a little while. Another interesting behavior in the wild is that sometimes a female with no mate and no eggs will try to take over a nest belonging to another bird. Birds in the parrot family are very intelligent and not all of their behavior is governed by instinct. They can learn new behaviors that are useful, and even get creative when they have a problem to solve. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. If you are satisfied with the information I've given, please take a moment to rate my service. Butter and Buddha must be much fun to watch. Anna