Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Francine finch female 3 years old
, she keeps on

Customer Question

Francine finch female 3 years old
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she keeps on rubbing her eye on the perches and it all red and she has lost all the feathers around that eye, she is in a cage with her male and two babies that where born this summer, the cage is cleaned every morning along with the food and water bowls are cleaned
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Bird Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Presumptive therapy for an infectious conjunctivitis should be considered at this time. Terramycin ophthalmic ointment is nicely broad spectrum for the bacterial infections I see in bird eyes. You can find this ointment in many pet/feed stores or purchase it online such as here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16190&cmpid=06cseYY&ref=XXXX&subref=AA&gclid=Cj0KEQiAoby1BRDA-fPXtITt3f0BEiQAPCkqQYKWT543wA8NXgy4ArzK8aLtfZPZpIorXc2yqZWk5xMaAhZd8P8HAQ A "dab" of ointment on to the globe of the eye thrice daily for 10 consecutive days should suffice. I hope that she's easy to catch! If you didn't see a positive change within 10 days, infection may have involved her sinus near her eye and in that case a systemic antibiotic will be necessary. These are prescription drugs available through an avian vet. Please see here: www.aav.org

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.