Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I feel awful I was at my Nannas house and her budgie was

Customer Question

Hello I feel awful I was at my Nannas house and her budgie was out. I was making her a cup of tea and he landed in it. I got him out really quick my mum ran cool water on him. He is eating fine and whistling still will he be ok? I feel so bad it happened so quickly. Does he need to go to the vet. His feet looked ok not burnt his chest was wet we kept an eye on him for a while.do I need to do anything I feel so bad
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. It sounds as if you attended to him promptly and well. It's hard to imagine that he's been seriously harmed if he's eating and whistling. Burn injuries, however, can take some time to become apparent. Watch for changes in his feet and leg skin - erythema (reddening) and scaling. I suspect that his feathered skin was protected from the hot water.

If his unfeathered skin begins to change as I mentioned, an avian vet should take a look at him. Antibiotics would be likely to be prescribed because burned skin often becomes secondarily infected. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for replying. I will keep an eye on his leg area. I feel terrible I called my nanna tonight and she said he was fine and happy.
Will go and check on him again tomorrow. Thank you for replying to my question.

You're quite welcome. Nanna is likely to be spot-on. Nannas are always right.

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DrMichaelSalkin