Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My hen, a Welsummer, named Tipper, acted listless all

Customer Question

My hen, a Welsummer, named Tipper, acted listless all afternoon. She was also listless when I put all seven (7) hens to bed. What do I need to do to find out what is wrong with her, and should I separate her from the other
hens.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Please let me know if you still need help.

Unfortunately, the symptom of listlessness can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in differentiating the various causes of what you're seeing. Veterinarians can perform a physical exam and run diagnostic tests, including X-rays, to distinguish between the various etiologies.

It's best to approach the diagnostic process with a clear sense of this hen's financial value to your operation. Although some services such as your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory might be available free of charge through a county agency or land-grant extension office, the expense of some diagnostic tests and treatments can add up quickly. While it’s always worth your time and money to identify a bacterial or viral infection that could potentially impact more than one member of the flock, this might not be the case with a condition that only affects one hen. To answer you directly, yes, it would be prudent to quarantine her and that can be done in this fashion: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/how-to-help-sick-chicken.html

Hi Sara,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
bigislandvet