August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

My female parakeet is very well behaved but will not come

Customer Question

My female parakeet is very well behaved but will not come out of her cage. She will perch on finger, hand, can be petted, etc. But it is a battle to get her out of the cage
Category: Bird
Expert:  August Abbott, CAS replied 1 year ago.

First, tell me how long you've had Lily and how you came to own her. Is she a baby or very young bird? Has she had previous owners? Whatever background you can give is helpful.

Secondly, how big or small is this cage? How many perches inside? Where in the home is it located? How do you provide 'sleep time'? For example, do you cover the cage or move it to a different room or nothing in particular?

Thanks,