Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

I was once in a pet store and played with a very small

Customer Question

I was once in a pet store and played with a very small parrot. I just lost my senegal parrot who I had for 25 years this parrot seemed to be smaller than the senegal but was not lould like a blue headed conure which I also own and not as large. It was muted in colors but very friendly
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in birds. I am so sorry for the loss of your Senegal. I would like to help you figure out what this bird was. Can you tell me if the muted colors were shades of gray, green, or brown?

Thank you.

Anna

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that it was brown, but color is not that important to me. It was smaller than the Senegal but more importanty, it was very tame, friendly, and could talk. You could hold it, and it wasn't prone to bite. I saw it in a pet store about 20 years ago and almost bought it. If you have any other suggestion of a medium to small sized parrot that is not too loud and can talk as well as a Senegal I would appreciate your input.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you going to call
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok can you figure out what kind of bird I am possibly talking about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or d?o you have any suggestions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for the delay. I lost my internet connection for awhile. Not all experts are set up for phone calls - I am not. Knowing the color would have helped me figure out what species this was. However, I am reasonably certain it was in the Poicephalus genus. The Senegal is also in that genus. The other species of Poicephalus often kept as pets include the brown-headed parrot, red-bellied parrot, and Meyer's parrot. All are small, quieter birds, known for their friendliness. However, being tame and talking are things that have to be taught. I have attached a photo of the brown-headed because it sounds most like what you saw with muted colors.

Your request for a phone call has been opened to all experts, so you may hear from someone else, if anybody thinks thay can identify the parrot. Otherwise, if you have more questions for me, just click on REPLY. I wish you success in finding the bird you want.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this parrot smaller than the Senegal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The parrot that I was playing with was smaller
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it did not have as much green as a senegal
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Well, the only one smaller is the Meyer's parrot, but they often have quite a bit of green. I've attached a photo. . There are other species - many of them - but the others are rare. I wonder if you may have seen a parrotlet or other smaller bird. They come in many different colors. I've attached a photo of some.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the picture of the bird you sent me looks very similar to Fisher my Senegal parrot, the bird that I am describing did not look like a Senegal it was smaller in size and its body color did not separate as much as a senegals does. it did not have the green on it like the bird in the picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think that this bird was in the same family of birds as the Senegal but maybe if there is a bird in the family that is smaller and that does not have that v division on his chest of color
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I will be able to figure this out. There are over 350 species of birds in the parrot family. Markings vary a great deal within a species. I will opt out of your question, which opens it to other experts. Perhaps one of them will be able to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK so what happens now, am I charged for this or should I wait for another expert to write back
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

You can wait as long as you wish to see if someone else will respond. At any point, you can request a refund