August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

A few weeks ago, my older cockatiel was injured when she

Customer Question

A few weeks ago, my older cockatiel was injured when she flew into a wall. Her eye began to pulsate, but in a couple of weeks it appeared to get better. Recently, the eye would close occasionally, and today the eye is completely sealed shut. What should I do?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of Angel's condition. Judging from your description of the incident, I suspect that she injured her eye in the collision, then probably rubbed or scratched it in response to the irritation. Because of the length of time between the collision and the onset of her present symptoms, an eye infection is the most likely cause. Have you established a relationship with a veterinarian for Angel?