Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

I have two parakeets who have two babies that are now 3-4

Customer Question

I have two parakeets who have two babies that are now 3-4 weeks old. They are fighting more and twice now I've interrupted the female pinning the male to the bottom of the cage. He's clearly still helping with the feeding, etc. so I'm not sure if I should separate him or let them figure it out.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear that Kiwi and Skeeter are having some problems.

This is a very touchy situation and there is no clear cut correct way to handle it. I suspect that what is happening is that Kiwi is attempting to mate with Skeeter again, and she is not ready. This sort of thing happens often with parakeets. The male will try to court and pester the female. she will give him clues she's not interested, but he won't stop. Eventually, the female has enough and attacks the male. In some females, the hormone changes associated with breeding and egg-laying result in extreme aggression, so that is another possibility. When it happens, the most common scenario is pecking the male's head and even pecking the eyes out. This is not a situation to be ta***** *****ghtly - there have even been cases where a female kills the male.

The babies complicate things since Kiwi is still caring for them. It's a lot easier when both parents care for the babies. Kiwi would not be happy to be separated from them. However, that may be what you have to do to protect him. Given all the circumstances, I would separate the two. A tendency to attack like this is an inherited one, so Skeeter should not be bred again. We don't want to pass this trait on.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I believe you deserve honesty. If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you don't have further problems.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

How are things going with your parakeets?

Anna

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anna - I've been separating the male from the family during the day while I'm at work, and letting him back into the cage in the evening and at night. I usually let them fly around the house so he's more exercise deprived. I'm observing. I'm hoping that as the female feels freer to leave her kids alone, she will just fly away from the male when he's annoying. I'm handling the babies - they crawl up my chest to my shoulder quite naturally although they have not left their box on their own yet. No attacks in the evening. Thanks! Louise
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, Louise. It sounds like you have reached a good solution to allow them to be together, but without putting them in danger. That's great that you're handling the babies.

Please take a moment to rate my service - I don't receive credit for my time until you do. You can continue to ask any follow-up questions even after rating. Thank you very much!

I hope things continue to go well, and don't hesitate to ask if you need anything elase.

Anna