Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

My dog just nearly ate a pigeon. The bird's missing all it's

Customer Question

My dog just nearly ate a pigeon. The bird’s missing all it’s tail feathers and has what looks like road rash in the area. One of her eyes looks a bit bloody but overall they look ok. I have it in a cardboard box with some towels a small water dish. It looks like it’ll live if it’s allowed to heal but I’m not sure how to care for a pigeon.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I appreciate Logitech that no one answered your question sooner. The expert you originally requested is no longer with JustAnswer, and because the question was locked for her, no one else could respond until that lock expired. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in birds. I'm sorry to hear of this incident. If the pigeon is still alive now, we can probably assume me it suffered no internal injuries. If it has passed away, there was probably internal bleeding, and there would have been nothing you could have done. As a first aid measure, you can apply some Betadine (sold in the first aid departments of pharmacies and discount stores) to the area that looks like road rash. That will help prevent infection.

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Routine pigeon care is fairly straightforward. Provide clean water in a bowl. The other supplies you will need can be purchased at a feed store or farm supply store. Containers of grit and oyster shell should be placed in the box or cage. You may be able to find a bag of food formulated for pigeons - that would be best. If that isn't available, go for a mix of field peas, cracked corn, wheat, oats, barley, etc. Different grains are available in different parts of the country, but try to get a mix, because providing only one or two will lead to deficiencies. You shoudl also add some chopped fresh fruits and vegetables to the diet. Pet stores also sell dove feed, which is fine for pigeons, too. It is more expensive, but comes in smaller bags.

If you plan to keep the pigeon in a cage, you'll need one sized for a small parrot. Bigger is better. If the care involved sound slike too much, another option is to turn the pigeon over to an animal shelter (however, they may euthanize it). Here is a site where you can read more about pigeon care:

http://www.pigeonrescue.org/birds/care/pigeon-feeding-dove-feeding/

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope you'll be able to nurse the pigeon back to health.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just checking in on the pigeon. Has it survived? I hope so, and that it is doing well. Anna