Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My male parakeet 3 yrs old nestle has been fluffed up days

Customer Question

My male parakeet 3 yrs old nestle has been fluffed up for 4 days now . Took him to 2 different avian vets.
Vet 1 prescribed vibramycin and gave 2 vitamin injections (a &D and b complex) did gram stain came out normal
Vet 2 prescribed baytril also gave baytril injection did the culture test still awaiting results and this time gram stain showed 5 percent bacteria but no yeast infection.
I gave vibramycin for 2 days till it got changed to baytril and today I gave him first baytril. I had to go to vet 2 since vet 1 was not available that day and my budgie wasn't eating enough. But after baytril injection he ate alot. He is eating but not playing he did chirp a little today otherwise he had stopped chirping. Why is he still fluffed up ? Is it the bacteria that's causing him to be all fluffy?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The most likely answer to your question is that the Baytril hasn't been administered for a long enough time. Ten consecutive days is my minimum when gram negative bacteria are found. We also have to consider that the culture might reveal bacteria not sensitive to Baytril. His eating is a positive prognostic sign. Be sure to keep his environment heated up to 85F at this time. His fluffing is an attempt to keep his body temperature up.
Please tell me what his diet has consisted of. Malnutrition often underlies a parakeet's illness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok doctor so he's been showing improvements on day 2 of baytril . He's been chirping and little active. But now I've noticed more than usual his left side feather keeps twitching. Why is his feather twitching all of sudden. Is it the effect of baytril?

No, I don't know of any mechanism for Baytril to cause feather twitching. I might conjecture that there is discomfort under that feather - either external or internal. I'm pleased to hear that he appears to be responding to the antibiotic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can that discomfort be? It only started after antibiotics. One vet told me to give him couple drops of juice thinking the blood sugar might be low. He's not eating much but he drinks water properly and I've been giving probiotics called avi culture 2 to him on millets before and after antibiotics.

Whatever is causing his fluffing can also cause discomfort. That hasn't been clarified at this time by his vet. Perhaps the antibiotic is upsetting his GI tract. I regret that I can only conjecture at this time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doc he stopped being fluffed up he doesn't get fluffed up anymore .

That's another positive prognostic sign along with his chirping and activity. See if the following might explain his feather twitching:

• Wing Flipping
      This is a sharp, flicking movement of one or both wings and is usually indicative of annoyance or displeasure. Another cause of wing flipping could be that one of the feathers is out of place, and the bird is "flipping" the wing in an attempt to realign it before preening. In this case, holding the bird aloft on your hand and slowly dropping your hand a few inches will encourage the bird to flap its wings, and will assist in realigning the feather.
    • Wing and Body Quivering
      Quivering wings usually indicate fear, nervousness, uncertainty, or distrust. Birds displaying this behavior should be spoken to softly with a reassuring tone of voice before attempting to initiate contact. A quivering of the entire body, and especially the abdomen where you can see the abdominal feathers shaking, is usually a normal attempt to adjust to a marked change in the temperature of the environment.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Nestle. How is everything going?
bigislandvet