Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

I have a chronic egg layer. I have noticed that is she

Customer Question

hi
I have a chronic egg layer. I have noticed that is she gaining weight. Does laying alot of eggs cause weight gain?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in birds. I would like to answer your question today.
If anything chronic egg laying results in weight loss. Producing and laying eggs takes a lot out of a female bird's body, and weight loss can result.
So, if your bird is gaining weight, something else is going on. Of course, simply eating too much, especially high fat seeds, can lead tow eight gain. However, several medical conditions cause weight gain, too.Fluid retention from heart disease or kidney failure results in edema and weight gain. Tumors and bloating can give the appearance of weight gain, too. Enlargement of the liver due to fatty liver disease (hepatic lipidosis) also makes a bird look heavier. Actual weight gain can be caused by thyroid and other endocrine disorders.
If your cockatiel is gaining weight or looks fat, but isn't eating a lot more, it would be best to have her examined by a vet to determine what is going on. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your bird will be fine.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just checking to see if you have additional questions or concerns. Just let me know.