Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

I need to give my little 1 yr old male parakeet away. very

Customer Question

I need to give my little 1 yr old male parakeet away. very sadly, his older buddy was killed by my cat while I was looking for a good home for both of them. I was contacted by a person who was looking for 2 males for her 2 females. They are free flying like mine. Is it Ok for her to take 1 male if she has 2 females? Also, she cannot take my bird for 2 weeks. I don't want my bird to remain sad and solitary for so long and was wondering if I should get another male in a day or so. They could become friends and move to the new place together. Would that be better since the new home has 2 females? To make a long story short, is it better to introduce 2 males to 2 females? I don't want the birds to be stressed. And is 2 weeks long enough for my little male to become comfortable with a new male? I suppose about his age?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in birds. I'm so sorry for your loss of Sunshine.
This is a situation where there is no once right answer. I can give you the things to consider in making the decision. However, two weeks is not too long to wait, especially if you can give Stormy some extra attention during that time. Many parakeets need some time to grieve and adjust after the loss of a cage mate. Sometimes they will not even accept a new bird until some time has passed.
Often, three parakeets will get along just fine regardless of the sex, and having two males and two females is no guarantee they will pair off. Both males may decide to fight over one of the females, leaving the other one alone. Two females may also take a fancy to the same male. Sometimes a male and a female may fight, too. There is simply no way to predict what might happen. Parakeets are known for being quarrelsome, but most of the time they do work out their differences and get along.
A big factor with introducing a second male to your home now is that he should be quarantined for at least ten days. Many pet store birds are not in the best of health and you don't want to expose Stormy to anything. We recommend at least ten days of keeping a new bird in a separate cage, in a separate room, to be sure it is not sick.
You will have to consider all of these things when making your decision.If it were my decision, I would not add a second bird, but would try to give Stormy a lot of attention while waiting for the two weeks to pass. The new owner could then see how things go and decide if they want to add another male.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!